Saturday, July 10, 2004

Just a little story that I try to tell to at least one person every election year that should go into the file of "dirty tricks", though I'm not sure which party benefitted....

Once upon a time in a state far from New Jersey, I was registered to vote, as was my first husband. We were registered in opposing parties, incidentally. One election day, when my daughter was only about a year old, we were called at 6 a.m. My ex answered the phone expecting some "work" emergency (he was a Methodist minister at the time)and turned to me saying I had to get dressed and go vote. I blearily asked why, having been awoken, and he told me that they called because the voting machine was set on Republican and the primary couldn't go on until I voted. I was the sole Republican in the voting district.

I have since seen the error of my ways and changed parties - it was John Anderson not winning the Republican primary in 1980 that made me decide that the Republicans did not have what it took to pick a good man for President. It turned out I was right...

No comments: