Tuesday, February 27, 2007

NYCC Pictures...I hope...

I tried to post pictures from our trip to the New York Comic Con last night - I was up until 11:30 trying and all the sudden everything disappeared. So here goes again - I'll try to put commentary at the bottom of the page rather than the bottom of the pictures. That way, I only have to drag the pictures a short way. If you use Blogger, you'll understand completely....




Now, from the top - a shot of the upstairs where the exhibition hall was - we couldn't get in there first. They were letting people in (now everybody who was at the show had to have a pre-paid ticket, just to let you know) little by little. The line to get into the exhibiton area was out the door, up the driveway and down the street. Rumor had it that some of the people had been waiting in line since midnight, although the Beat said it was around 7:00 am. So we went to panels Steven to Buffy the Vampire Slayer’s 10th Anniversary and Sci Fi Presents: Battlestar Galactica. They had cake! And some left over for me after I got out from my panel -Minx: The Face of Modern Fiction. The pictures from there are pretty obvious - the one with real people in it is of the artist and writer for Plain Janes, the first graphic novel to come out (attendees got an advance reading copy. Targeted to a 12 - 18 year old demographic, I, as a 53 year old with a 16 year old trapped inside, thought it looked pretty good.). The shot of a page from a book is a page from Plain Janes. The others are the books that will follow with their months shown on the screen.After lunch we headed to a ticketed event for a Marvel book which will be released soon. The first picture is of the person who adapted the book to comic - Peter David. He's the man standing. The next is of the crowd waiting for the "Guest of Honor", the author of the Dark Tower - The Gunslinger Born book - Stephen King, who is shown making his entrance from where they had him hiding. He's shown on the stage with Jae Lee, the artist for the comic and Robin Furth, the colorist, I think. At the podium is Joe Quesada, the editor in chief at Marvel. After the first question from the audience, I took off for the exhibition hall where I got in with no trouble (thank God for Stephen King!). There was Pickachu at the Pokemon booth right at the entrance. I searched all over and found the DC booth where I got a picture of two of the banners - one is for 52 , the series and the other is the "new" Batman. Walking around (endlessly, I might add - I still have aching legs!) I saw this monster who, when asked if it was hot in that costume, growled a definite affirmative response. It felt very stiff, as well....


On a completely different note, I met Patrick Mc Donnell, creator of Mutts, who autographed a picture for Woodgie. she was not real impressed, but I'm going to frame it for her anyhow. There were a lot of video game booths, but I took a picture of this one because it's for a game that has a webpage where one can join the Ninja Acedemy and allegedly win prizes. Elysha is signed up (she and her boyfriend were Ninjas at Halloween last year), but hasn't won anything....


The next is Steven and Major Victory, a contestant in the first season of Stan Lee's "Who Wants to be a Super-Hero" show. The picture next to it is of two of the possible contestants this year, although I doubt it - they're dressed as the Joker and Harley Quinn, registered trademarks of DC Comics... His shirt, in case you can't read it, says "I killed Jason Todd and all I got was this lousy T-shirt". Guess he didn't know Jason Todd has made a comeback in the comics.... Incidentally, this Harley had to make her jacket. The costume is available now- at least online. These kids did not go all out the way some people did...


And the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are making a comeback. Too bad this one is n't registered to vote in Verona. :-) Wonder if any of the other candidates have a campaign picture like this one?


And the last picture shows that there is all kinds of shit to be found at the Con. This one is "Tough Shit". No kidding - it's stitched right there on the front. It was in front of a toy booth - the Turds...


We trudged back to the Port Authority and caught the bus home around 5:30 pm. There's the sunset out the bus window...

They say it'll be April next year - I hope they get logistics straightened out.....

No comments: