Saturday, July 21, 2007

Another exciting week...





Well, first, here's a couple of pictures of Woodgie's reaction to the entire week. She's just been defurred (which is probably why the squirrels are keeping clear of my li'l tomatoes. and here they are...). The defurring (supposed to pick up loose hair from the undercoat) picks up vast quantities of her fur and she gurgles as she's being combed. But she gets a bit peeved when I do her tail. We sit on the porch and the fuzz flies all over. I wind up covered in fur, too and have to come in and brush her to get the loose fur that does get caught in the comb and go over myself with a special lint roller for fur removal... I think Woodgie likes to watch me rolling the fur off...


Now, the excitement of the week. I worked, as usual on Monday and Tuesday and Wednesday was my day off. So naturally, it rained. I went out to snip off roses that had gotten blown apart by the rain the night before and slid on the step. I fell and landed face first in my itty bitty garden (the one covered in cat hair at the moment). My chest and stomach hit the violets and other green stuff and me knee hit the sidewalk and my chin and cheek hit the curbing. I was/am okay - my knee was skinned up pretty bad, but I have knee bandages for such occasions. I came in and Woodgie looked at me funny as I put peroxide on the scrapes and bandaged myself up. I got a cut on my chin and I really thought my cheek would bruise, but it didn't.

The roses didn't suffer...


So that was Wednesday. I go into work on Thursday and am just about done when the phone rings at the library at 8:35. It's Steve - he's having a kidney stone attack and wants me to take him to the ER.... So I tell Catherine Adair-Williams ( the new reference librarian - she traded nights with the other librarian) and head out the door. I got home in about 5 minutes and got him into the car and we got to Mountainside in about 15 minutes. I parked the car and went into the ER. He says he feels better now, but we're going to stay because he wants them to make sure it's not going to spring loose again... So I ring Elysha at Robbie's (it was his birthday), give her a quick rundown and get yelled at by a guard for the cell phone. So, after he's had the urine test and blood test and the CAT (no relation to Woodgie) scan, in comes Elysha and Robbie. She was scared after I called and hung up so quick. We assure her it's going to be okay this time and she takes Robbie home. Shortly after, he gets the all-clear - blood work, urine and CAT are all clear, he should go home. So we go home around 11 - about 2 hours faster than the last time.

I go to work the next morning and tell Catherine thanks - that everything went okay and that Steve was okay. Then I hear the witch complaining that the person who "took" her old job is getting a raise. So I look at the local paper. Seems that since I didn't get the opportunity to be a councilperson, they are going to all get a raise, along with the S.O.B. who got on my case. He'll be getting a raise of more than I make in a year. The council members will only get more than I make in a couple months, still not making their "stipend" more than what I make in a year. Still, that rankles me. The township manager currently makes $120,000 + a year. I make a lot less. Even though I'm only part time, I do not get regular raises like the higher -ups, or for that matter, the regular staff at both City Hall and the Library. Just venting here, but the people who do the real work in the town don't get the money. And the guys getting it are saving it - none of them live in Verona....

No comments: