Monday, February 10, 2020

February 10th

CURRENT WEATHER
12:18 PM
44°
RealFeel® 37°
Cloudy
UV Index: 1 Low
Wind: WSW at 11 mph
Wind Gusts: 17 mph
Humidity: 76%
Dew Point: 36°
Pressure: 30.10 inHg
Cloud Cover: 99%
Visibility: 10 mi
Ceiling: 4000 ft


Blood Pressure: 113/71  Pulse 60

Facebook drama from last night. Rick Barstead DMed me about Jenni. It was alarming.
Rick:I've seen your daughter a couple of times over the last 30 days. I didn't recognize her at first, either time. She's almost unrecognizable. We dropped off groceries to her two or three weeks ago, and again today. The first time I was able to call her ahead, and she was home when we got there. Her room/apartment is sad, and stinks of cigarettes. Today I have texted, and messaged her on Facebook Messenger and no reply. The last time I saw her, I had to tell her she just couldn't show up at the salon like she has. She looks straight up like a junkie, who sleeps behind a dumpster somewhere. Our salon is just not "that kind of establishment." We've worked in a place where the owner's daughter was an addict, and when she came to that salon, it was always disruptive, uncomfortable, and embarrassing. The last time I saw Jenni, I broke my rule and gave her money. It was just bus fare, so she could go to work, she said. She came by the salon at 11:20, looking dirty, and disheveled. She said she had to be at work at 12:45. I said, "you're never gonna make it." She said, "oh I've got plenty of time." I said, "I don't think so, but whatever." She then looked at the clock again and said, "uh oh, you're right!" She hurried out of the door. She had a platinum wig on, and hideous blue eyeshadow on. I have to wonder what kind of job she was actually going to looking like she did! She came back 10 minutes later, and asked if one of us could take her to New Albany. I told her that neither of us could leave work because we had clients. Her judgement is so off that it must haven't even crossed her mind that it was impossible for us to take her to New Albany. I am so worried about her! She is skin and bones, and her skin is all broken out. Her jaw doesn't quit moving, just like a meth addict. She claims she doesn't do meth, but I've seen this many times before, and she's not fooling me. I just won't give her money because I don't want the money to go for that fix that finally stops her heart or breathing. I don't want to love her to death by giving her cash, that I know will go straight to drugs. I don't know how bad she looked when you were here in December, but our girl is in a very bad place! I have offered her on many occasions now, to arrange a face to face with two clients of ours, a husband and wife, who met in recovery from heroin addiction, and now run a recovery program in Louisville. Every time I offer, she says nothing. My offer will always stand, and I hope someday soon she will take me up on that offer. At any rate, I will drop off groceries for her when I can, and hope that she gets them, and will eat free food, and not trade it for drugs. I just can't give her any cash, I just can't. I just wanted to fill you in on my perspective here. Perhaps on one of the times you are here, we could consider an intervention, and try to get her to go to treatment, and recovery.
Me:I wish I could. I'm afraid that if I don't give her money, she'll be out on the street. I don't know. She looked thin and a bit disheveled when I was there, but not to where she looked strung out. She said she had injured herself working at Amazon. I took her to the doctor. Thanks for letting me know what you see.
Rick:
Well, Jenni is obviously mad at me because I am truthful to her, and don't give her money. I sent her messages today telling her I had dropped off food, and asking her to at least let me know she got them... crickets! At least I know she's alive! She's watched Rocket Man. At least I know she's safe, not dead, and ignoring me. She knows me well enough to know that I don't mince words. I am always truthful, even if it hurts, and that I say what I mean, and mean what I say. If money is what I have to pay to have a relationship with my addict niece, I will take the cold shoulder, and hope that she will turn to me when she's ready to give up her addiction, and get her life back on track. You do realize if you are sending her $200 a week for that room, you could pay for a decent apartment, with utilities included, for that price, right?
Chat Conversation End

I talked to Jenni and it upset her. It upset me. She also said Rick is a former meth addict.

No comments: